This week’s artists come together to contemplate differing realities.
* * *
1. Look up here, I’m in heaven, a group exhibition of unconventional portraits featuring paintings, works on paper, and mixed-media work by David Antonio Cruz, Yashua Klos, Tschabalala Self, and Yoon Ji Seon. While cultural and political realities are central elements of the work on view, the artists create imagery that aims to transcend the here and now to establish a more transcendent sense of self at BRIC House
2. Maryrose Crook draws on traditions of surrealism, still life and folk art creating worlds where beauty and brutality exist in close proximity at La Luz de Jesus
3. Group show School’s Out aims to capture that same sense of freedom – of playfully breaking from the ordinary and letting the imagination run wild at Mike Weiss Gallery
4. Aaron Frisby and Lane Cyril Mountain’s newest works at Seeing Something Gallery
5. An examination of the profound physical and emotional impact of violence in America, particularly against women at Paradigm Arts
6. At once charming and provocative, Michael De Feo reinterprets and embellishes the existing imagery in a novel spin for the age of appropriation at Danziger Gallery