Worlds and stories collide in this week’s choice gallery picks.
* * *
1. Rebound: Dissections and Excavations in Book Art brings together the work of five mixed-media artists from around the world who, using books as a point of departure, sculpt, scrape, bend, and carve to create astonishing compositions at Halsey Institute of Contemporary Art
2. Using riotous color and a phantasmagoria of form, Ryan Mosley’s large-scale paintings are fantastic spaces where the history of art, the South Seas, and even the Wild, Wild West cohabitate at Tierney Gardarin
3. In Looking and Listening, Andreas Schulze presents two ceramic sculptures alongside a selection of paintings, depicting landscapes inspired by the artist’s recent expedition to the island of Sicily at Sprüth Magers London
4.Working with concepts of size, scale and gesture, Paul Lange coaxes botanical specimens to display some whimsically anthropomorphic characteristic that evokes a feminine persona at Hagedorn Foundation Gallery
5. Aida Pinhas’ fashion and textiles series infused with the signs of the zodiac at FIT
6. Piotr Janas’ paintings evoke an imagined world that spans the realms of nightmare and dream, interior and exterior, carnal and cerebral at Bortolami Gallery